Trump
FeaturedWorld
0

Trump says he will not abandon his presidential campaign if convicted and imprisoned.

The Republican frontrunner was discussing the multiple indictments he faces as he pushes for a second term, a day after prosecutors broadened the charges against him over his handling of classified government documents.

Washington: Former US President Donald Trump said Friday that if convicted and sentenced in any of the criminal probes threatening to derail his rocky comeback effort, he will not abandon his push for the White House.
A day after prosecutors broadened the accusations against him over his handling of confidential government materials, the Republican frontrunner was discussing the several indictments he faces as he seeks a second term.

When asked by radio presenter John Fredericks if being jailed would put an end to his campaign, Donald Trump said, “Not at all.” There’s nothing in the Constitution that says it can.”

“And even the radical left crazies are saying not at all, that wouldn’t stop (me) — and it wouldn’t stop me, either,” the 77-year-old remarked. “These folks are infected. What they’re doing is really heinous.”

The twice-impeached former president was originally charged in the classified documents case last month, accused of jeopardizing national security by retaining top-secret nuclear and defense information after leaving the White House.

The Justice Department added charges Thursday to its more than three dozen allegations against Donald Trump, who was found guilty of raping a writer in Manhattan in the 1990s by a judge in a civil trial in May.

Mounting prosecutions

Donald Trump is also facing dozens of felony charges in a New York case involving hush money payments to a porn star, and he is expected to be indicted in separate state and federal investigations into his efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

In a major development in the documents investigation on Thursday, Special Counsel Jack Smith claimed that Donald Trump, who is scheduled to go on trial during the campaign in March and May next year, directed a worker at his beachfront estate in Florida to delete surveillance footage in order to obstruct investigators.

Donald Trump, who denies any involvement, was also charged with illegally keeping national security secrets in connection with a document he allegedly showed to journalists at his New Jersey golf club.

Trump’s combative radio interview came as he and competitor Ron DeSantis prepared to appear on the same platform for the first time in the campaign, among nearly the entire Republican presidential field, at the Iowa Republican Party’s annual Lincoln Dinner.

The fundraiser in Des Moines later Friday, seen as a watershed moment in the early presidential campaign, comes as DeSantis faces his own issues.

As he has failed to connect with voters and has been plagued by a succession of largely self-inflicted crises, the 44-year-old has seen Donald Trump’s lead grow from 13 points in February to 34 points presently.

Nazi imagery

The DeSantis campaign was forced to fire a staffer who posted a video with Nazi imagery this week, and the candidate provoked uproar by recommending anti-vaccine conspiracy theorist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. oversee his public health strategy.

Aides also revealed the termination of a third of the campaign’s staff after admitting to massive expenditures, and the Florida governor drew even more scorn for defending his state’s severely criticized new curriculum promoting the virtues of slavery.

With voters in Iowa and New Hampshire set to choose their preferred Republican nominee in six months, most of the candidates have been camped out in the states, attending campaign events on a daily basis.

Trump’s vice president, Mike Pence, will also speak at the Lincoln Dinner. Pence is now polling fourth in the Republican primary, trailing businessman Vivek Ramaswamy. Former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley and South Carolina Senator Tim Scott will also speak.

DeSantis, who has been reserved in his replies as he has been repeatedly assaulted by Trump, told SiriusXM’s “The Megyn Kelly Show” on Friday that he was opposed to the former president’s prosecution.

Only on JioSaavn.com can you listen to the most recent tunes.
“I’ll do what’s best for the country.” I don’t think it’s good for the country to send an almost 80-year-old former president to prison… “I believe the country desires a new beginning,” he stated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *