NYC stabbing spree suspect charged with attempted murder after wounding at least 5, NYPD says

NEW YORK — A Queens man accused in a stabbing spree that wounded at least five people is now facing attempted murder charges.

Charges were filed overnight against Jermain Rigueur in the series of unprovoked attacks over nine days.

Mayor Eric Adams spoke about the investigation Thursday, saying “It didn’t appear as though he was looking to stop anytime soon.”

“We’re standing here as the executive of the city and the leaders of the police department, but the real credit goes out to the men and women knocking on doors, probably 1,000 interviews and interactions with New Yorkers, tip hotlines from New Yorkers who saw the photos that went out to assist us,” Adams said. 

“Ultimately, it came down to basic detective work — chasing down leads, knocking on doors. It was about walking through neighborhoods and talking to people, interviewing witnesses, and canvassing video, ” NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban added. “And through it all, remain focused on one thing: ending this threat.”

NYPD, Mayor Adams update arrest of NYC serial stabbing suspect

Police said Rigueur worked at Woodhull Hospital and had no prior arrests or history of mental illness. 

“He completed a background check, and as you heard from the police chief, he had no priors. So even though we do fingerprinting, his record was clear. He passed the background check,” said Dr. Mitch Katz, president and CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals. “He has only worked for us since mid-November. He never worked independently at Woodhull. He was still 100% being observed as part of his orientation. His job was greeting patients as they came in and directing them to the appropriate place.”

The 27-year-old was arrested Wednesday night outside his Springfield Gardens home.  

“It’s scary. I didn’t know that he was … I thought he was maybe down farther. I didn’t know he was right in our area,” one neighbor said. “I’m so happy that they caught him.”

NYPD briefing on stabbing spree suspect

Investigators said the first attack happened on Jan. 8, when a 61-year-old was stabbed in the lower back on 137th Avenue near 157th Street.

“In this incident, the suspect actually laughed in the victim’s face after he stabbed him,” NYPD Chief of Detectives Joe Kenny said Wednesday. 

Then on Tuesday, a 34-year-old woman was getting off a bus at Guy Brewer Boulevard and 134th Avenue when she said a man speaking gibberish approached her. 

At that same location Wednesday morning, police said a 74-year-old man taking his wife to work was stabbed in the back. 

Police said the suspect went on to stab two other victims within the same hour. First, a 41-year-old around the corner on 161st Street, and then a 36-year-old man who got into an argument with the suspect over a seat on an MTA bus near Archer and Parsons.

“I saw him coming, and he saw me, too, when I passed him. I looked him in the face, and I passed him. And when I passed him, then he stabbed me,” the 41-year-old victim, Amara Kourouma, told CBS New York’s Natalie Duddridge. 

All five victims are expected to recover.

Investigators believe the suspect is also linked to a sixth stabbing Wednesday on the J train in Brooklyn, but charges have yet to be filed in that case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *